Saturday, August 18, 2007

so long, farewell...







Well, sadly, we had to leave Chiang Mai. It's better to have loved and left than never to have loved at all. It's been a long day getting down here to the island of Koh Lanta. We had an overnight in Bangkok, and an early flight in to Krabi this morning, and then a FOUR HOUR drive in a van to the hotel! We rode two ferries. For those of you who like radiohead, I listened to Hail To the Thief in its entirety, and it was quite fitting if that tells you anything. No worries, though (or, as they say, mai pen rai). When we got here they had flower necklaces and sweet iced tea waiting for us. Oh but get this, one of the ferries SANK yesterday. Good to know. Nobody was on it at the time, but still... sheesh.

So, the resort seems really nice, but it's been raining since we got here a couple hours ago. I'm headed to the spa shortly.

Here's a little map to show you where we are/have been. Koh Lanta is an island south of Phuket (that's pronounced poo-KET, okay?)

Fun fact: Thailand is conveniently located between the equator and the tropic of cancer.


5 comments:

Katie B said...

Mai pen rai is going to be my new mantra. I'm going to need that embroidered on something.

brooke said...

Well I hope Leah is reading this...

Wendy said...

Glad y'all made it to the beach! Chiang Mai ain't the same without y'all! Thanks for coming! I miss you like the desert misses the rain!

Anonymous said...

Pictures and all that you have done are fantastic. Sorry I haven't written before, but for some reason I didn't get you original e-mail. Mama forwarded it to me today (she had not been checking her charter e-mail). You certainly have had a great trip and know that you will enjoy the remainder at the resort. We have been missing you and look forward to seeing you on Thursday and hearing about everything. Have a great time.
Dad

Robin said...

Boy, Katie. Motherhood has really mellowed you. A month ago you were wearing a t shirt embroidered with "bite me". Mai pen rai is a total turnaround.

I am enjoying your blog, Brooke. Now I have to add Thailand to my "places to go before I die" list.