Thursday, August 16, 2007

kookin' skool!







Today we had Thai cooking class with a very nice lady named Yui (say YOU-eee)! It was such an awesome experience. She was so knowledgeable about food and science and chemistry, and a really patient teacher. Our class was only 4 people: me, Lou, Wendy, and this guy Andy from England. Yui would do a demonstration, showing us the proper way to chop and prep and cook; then we'd go to our workstation and try it ourselves. It was a great setting - an outdoor (but covered--thank goodness, it rained several times) kitchen with several workstations and a dining table.











We made like 7 different typical Thai recipes that Yui created herself. It was all delicious! Although, I dropped one of my spring rolls on the ground while removing it from the hot oil, and had to throw it away. Wendy happened to be shooting video at the time--I'll have to post it later. Pretty funny.










Yui took us to the market and gave us her insight about shopping and buying fresh ingredients. We saw all kinds of vegetables and fruits we've never seen. AND guess what I got? Some really fabulous galoshes (they sell other stuff at the market besides just food)! Oh my gosh they are purple and come up to my knees and I love them.










[the guy on the right sold me the galoshes. I was so excited to be paying him about $5 USD rather than paying jcrew.com about $80 USD that I had to commemorate the moment with a photo.]

Anyway, after class we came home to freshen up and headed back out to dinner near the night bazaar, massages (again!), and banana roti (again!). It's been a great day... sadly we have to leave Chiang Mai tomorrow. The good news is that we're going to a resort on the beach. It says on their website that they have wireless, so, I guess I'll be in touch! MANY thanks to Wendy and Courtney (and Moo Doggy Dogg) for the warm hospitality! We'll never forget it!

Oh, P.S. Terran-- I got your spirals today. Black ones and black-and-white striped ones. I got you two different sizes. I can barely get the small ones to go in my ear... hope they'll fit. I couldn't find any white ones, but I'll keep my eyes peeled!

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

I want to see the galoshes!
And what are spirals? Do I need some?

brooke said...

haha, I will get a shot of the galoshes posted ASAP! And I don't think you would like spirals... they're these earring spiral thingys that are really small but get bigger and bigger, and they're meant to stretch your earlobes so you can put in vials of blood or whatever it is people put in the big earlobe holes. Just kidding, I know it's stylish/punk/alt/uber-cultured to wear plugs...

Unknown said...

Layton and I love your blog! (I have censored a few parts, like the condom decor...) Thanks for letting a fat, lonely woman on bedrest live vicariously through you. When can we expect to see the Kookin Skool Kookbook on Wal-Mart shelves?

Stephanie said...

Yeah, I'm not really stylish/punk/alt/uber-cultured. I withdraw my request.

Anonymous said...

Hey Booker! It looks like you and Louis are having a great time. Please come home safely. I am glad I was able to see you and Lou before you left. Bring me a doggy bag from the rubber restaurant and some spirals for my ears! I miss you!
Uncle Larry

brooke said...

Sorry, Julia! Sometimes I guess it's a little PG-13 around here.

Hey Larry! Yeah, we're having a blast. Glad to have you as a new reader. Tell Ryan we say Kaa. (This is Thai for something, I'm almost sure of it :)) Take care!