O positive
I think almost everybody has a spirit of volunteerism--in other words, people generally want to give back to their community in some capacity. Donating money to charities directly, or through United Way, or a church; or volunteering time tutoring kids, or serving meals at a soup kitchen, or fundraising for a non-profit. If you're really dedicated, you might even move to a foreign country to reach out to people who don't have religious freedom.
Giving blood is in this same vein (pardon the pun) as volunteering time and money. Actually, I think it's an excellent alternative for students, parents, people who work alot—basically anyone who is strapped for time and/or money. You can go in for less than an hour and give one unit of blood that (at the SBC, at least) will be separated into all its different components and put into 4 different hospital patients. Depending on whether you give whole blood, or platelets, or plasma, your donation's monetary value is somewhere around $150-$300.
So, I'm not going to make all my visitors donate or anything. But I will say that the nurses are really good at the SBC, and you can choose to have a smaller needle if you want (it takes a little longer—mine took 9 minutes with the small needle), AND they give you a free cholesterol analysis, which other blood banks don't do. And of course they have the obligatory SWAG and cookies and juice. Just something to think about!
9 comments:
Pheshew. I'm glad you said this isn't a visitor obligation, because I was starting to hyperventilate.
Type O Hero...I was going to give blood this week, but since I'll be there in a couple of weeks I will just wait. I agree, it is a great way to give back and to know it will benefit 4 others, I will make a conscience effort to stay on a regular giving schedule. Have my cookies and Sprite ready please. :)
There you go, J-Lo! That's the spirit! Type O heroes unite!
Bone! Remember you and I going to give blood at Belmont a few times!! The last time we went together, they couldn't find your vein and they jabbed around a few times and you got ill and stuff!!! Who knew that you'd grow up to be a blood evangelist!! Way to spread the word! Unfortunately, I'm not planning on donating any blood in Thailand! Three cheers for volunteers!!!! Hip Hip Hooray!
Didn't you throw up or pass out the last time you gave blood at work? You really are dedicated!
As a matter of fact, I did both pass out and throw up (in that order) one time while giving blood at Southern Progress. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, people!!
As a matter of fact, that gives me a good idea... if anyone comes to visit me and decides to give blood, I will buy you a nice big breakfast that morning. Deal! J-Lo's the first one on the books. This is the restaurant:
http://www.stacksrestaurant.com/menu.html
Well crap. Now I might have to give blood. You can't tease me with food!
Hey, I like your blog, but know what would make it extra-special? A poll!
Both Heinz and I aren't eligible since we've lived in Europe for more than 6 months since 1980.
Post a Comment